Re: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 13:07:32 EST

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 10:35:50AM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Wrong math. That's 330 million dollars for each compat more each year to
> fund more Linux development and make us all rich...

Speaking only for myself: on the technical side I don't think you can't be much
faster than moving the performance critical services into the kernel and by
skipping the copies (infact I also think that for fileserving skipping the
copies and making sendfile to work and to work in zero copy will be enough).
So I don't think losing robusteness this way can be explained in any technical
way and no, it's not by showing me money that you'll convince me that's a good
idea.

Andrea