Re: Where did kgcc go in 2.4.0-test10 ?

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 19:17:57 EST

In article <200011012247.OAA19546@pizda.ninka.net>,
David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com> wrote:
> Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:57:34 +0100
> From: Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de>
>
> kgcc is a redhat'ism.
>
>Debian has it too.

Not quite. Debian does have an completely optional gcc272 package. It
is _not_ installed as kgcc (the binary is called gcc272) and you don't
_have_ to compile your kernels with it. It is an optional package and
you have to actively select and install it. By default Debian comes
with gcc 2.95.2 which compiles current 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels just
fine. At least I haven't used gcc272 for kernels for at least a year now
(I think, first egcs, then gcc 2.95) and on all the servers I administer
(and that's quite a few) gcc 2.95 hasn't caused any problems.

Mike.

--
People get the operating system they deserve.