RE: Linux-2.4.0-test10

From: CRADOCK, Christopher (cradockc@oup.co.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 13:46:20 EST

Martin, my setup is a Gigabyte DX (ie BX chip set with dual Pentium III) I
have an ATI rage 128 in it with two soundblasters and a cheapo ne2k clone.

The ISAPNP doesn't auto config completely for me so all I can say is the
plug-and-pray would still cause me some grief. Basically the ne2k and the
second sound blaster have conflicting requirements, so I manually tweaked
the ISAPNP selection until it worked. It appears the sound blasters don't
work on half the combination of interrupt and IO ports that you could chose
and that the PNP listing claims are available.

I've never had a problem with or without the FB in place (except initially
when aty128fb.c was flaky) Although it runs X about ten times slower than
the XFree V4 direct driver so I don't normally touch it.

The problems with the PIIX4 simply cause my HDA disk to hang up until the
reset pokes it back into action. As the root partition is on hda1 it hangs
the machine waiting for this to happen (takes about 15 minutes).

ETH0 - thinking about it to does occasionally hang up on me but I thought
that was me fiddling with the settings too much. I'll try that again.

As for kernel debug points I can't say I do my debugging that way.

Chris.