Re: [BUG] /proc/<pid>/stat access stalls badly for swapping process, 2.4.0-test10

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@wen-online.de)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 10:45:51 EST

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> > > This is not an elevator starvation problem.
> >
> > True, but the blk-xx patches help work-around (what I believe) is
> > bad flushing behaviour by the vm.
>
> I very much agree. Kflushd is still hungry for free write
> bandwidth here.

In the LKML tradition of code talks and silly opinions walk...

Attached is a diagnostic patch which gets kflushd under control,
and takes make -j30 bzImage build times down from 12 minutes to
9 here. I have no more massive context switching on write, and
copies seem to go a lot quicker to boot. (that may be because
some of my failures were really _really_ horrible)

Comments are very welcome. I haven't had problems with this yet,
but it's early so... This patch isn't supposed to be pretty either
(hw techs don't do pretty;) it's only supposed to say 'Huston...'
so be sure to grab a barfbag before you take a look.

        -Mike

P.S. almost forgot. vmstat freezes were shortened too :-)