Re: [BUG REPORT] TCP/IP weirdness in 2.2.15

From: Stephen Landamore (stephenl@zeus.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 04:38:53 EST

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Thomas Pollinger wrote:
> Running a 'cvs get' on the Linux clients of a larger source tree
> eventually hangs the client in the middle of the get process. The
> hang is *always* reproduceable (however it does not always hang at
> the same place, sometimes after 1', sometimes after 5' to
> 10'). Several runs on Win NT did not show this problem.
[...]
> At last, I tried to do the same on another HP-UX box and there was
> no blocking at all.
>
> What is interesting to know is that between the HP-UX server and the
> HP client is a Linux router with a 3c905 card, 2.2.14 kernel.

Let me see if I understand this correct:

        Client Router Server
        ------------------------------------
        Linux Linux HPUX Bad
        WinNT Linux HPUX Good
        HPUX Linux HPUX Good

With all Linux boxes version 2.2.something

Is this correct?

This is slightly different from my situation; I had a Linux client and
Linux server directly connected to the same switch (3Com Superstack
II, FWIW)

I found the client always hung in my test; this was only visible at
the end of a SPEC run. Analysing tcpdump etc showed that in fact it
died somewhere early in the test, almost always before 10 minutes
worth of run.

In the end I 'fixed' the problem by using a HPUX server :-/ ... I
observe that there _are_ some SPECweb99 submissions with Linux (the
Tux result), I'm curious to know if the people who actually did the
test run experienced any problems...

Perhaps if I get time I'll repeat the experiment with (a) the most
recent Alan pre-2.2 kernel and (b) the most recent 2.4-test kernel...

I'll re-iterate my original request, which was not "it's broke - can
you fix it" but was "okay, how do I go about tracking this one down?"

cheers,
stephen

--
Stephen Landamore, <slandamore@zeus.com>              Zeus Technology
Tel: +44 1223 525000                      Universally Serving the Net