Re: Broken colors on console with 2.4.0-textXX

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@suse.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 20:37:14 EST

> > > 2.4.0-test10-pre5
> >
> > Please upgrade to a newer kernel. This problem has been fixed :-)
> >

> Unfortunately I cannot confirm this. Checked 2.4.0-test10 and the problem
> is still there. I digged further and it seems to be a race condition(?)
> triggered by swapped out stuff - because just starting X and switching
> back to the console works fine, but as I start some memory-consuming stuff
> (I have only 32Megs of ram) and then switch back to the console its
> completely garbagled the first time and black the second time and later.

I have seen this problem before. The problem is the X server is the one
that sets the hardware back to vga text mode. Under heavy stress the X
server can fail and the hardware is left in a undeterminate state. I have
started on working to solve this problem but it will be something for
2.5.X since it requires quite a bit of change to vgacon and the console
system. My recent vga patches where early attempts at this but they are
still incomplete.