Re: Linux 2.4 Status / TODO page (Updated as of 2.4.0-test10)

From: Paul Gortmaker (p_gortmaker@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 14:28:53 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> > > * Check all devices use resources properly (Everyone now has to use
> > > request_region and check the return since we no longer single
> > > thread driver inits in all module cases. Also memory regions are
> > > now requestable and a lot of old drivers dont know this yet. --
> > > Alan Cox)
> >
> > Folks have done most of the common drivers. So its not really a show stopper
> > now just a 'clean up'
>
> s/check_region/request_region/ is moving along, but there is still a
> ways to go. I agree with "folks have done most of the common drivers"
>
> I have seen very few additions of request_mem_region, though.

Something which I forgot to add when mentioning my ioremap patch is
that you can pretty much forget about adding request_mem_region() to the
same drivers since both changes are in the same spot of code and doing
one without doing the other is kind of silly. (i.e. the patches I have
for 8390 based drivers do both at once).

Although simply having a dev->vmem [or dev->base] added to struct
netdevice in 2.4.0, as was discussed many months ago(*) might go a long
way in allowing driver back-compatibility from 2.5.x into 2.4.x - probably
worthwhile.

(*) Search <Pine.LNX.4.10.9912281026030.1294-100000@penguin.transmeta.com>
    in any linux-net mailing list archive of Dec 1999.

Paul.