Alpha SMP problem

From: Reto Baettig (baettig@scs.ch)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 13:09:34 EST

Hi

I have a problem whith Alpha SMP's which seems to be kernel-related. I
discussed this on the bug-glibc list but everybody seems to agree that
it cannot be a libc problem.

I attached a little testprogram which reproduces the bug in < 1Minute.
BUT: IT MUST BE STARTED AT LEAST TWICE!

The strange thing is that a single instance of the program runs just
fine. When I start the program a second time, I get segfaults and/or
stuck threads.

We could reproduce this behaviour on different Machines, both with linux
2.2.14 and 2.4.0-test10, but
ONLY ON ALPHA SMP MACHINES.

Here's my configuration:

Linux reto1 2.4.0-test10 #2 SMP Tue Oct 31 19:39:51 PST 2000 alpha
unknown
                            ^^^ ^^^^^
Kernel modules 2.3.19
Gnu C egcs-2.91.66
Gnu Make 3.78.1
Binutils 2.9.5.0.22
Linux C Library 2.1.3
Dynamic linker ldd (GNU libc) 2.1.3
Procps 2.0.6
Mount 2.10f
Net-tools 1.54
Console-tools 0.3.3
Sh-utils 2.0
Modules Loaded nfs lockd sunrpc

Any ideas?

Please tell me when you need more information, or give me some pointers
where I could start to dig...

TIA

Reto