Re: major problem with linux-2.4.0test10

From: Byron Stanoszek (gandalf@winds.org)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 15:36:05 EST

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, J.D. Hollis wrote:

> I've been having a problem with memory since 2.4.0test9...for some reason,
> shortly after my system boots, my hard drive begins to seek rapidly for no
> apparent reason, and suddenly about 150MB of my 256MB RAM is filled up with
> something gtop labels 'Other.' whatever's filling my memory isn't attached
> to any process. the one time I managed to get gtop open while the hard
> drive was seeking, I noticed that kflushd was using about 98% of my
> processor (an Athlon 900MHz). I'm running Redhat 7.0 (although I have no
> idea whether that makes a difference).

It's probably a program called 'sa' that anacron starts up right after boot
(on RH 7.0). It's a system accounting program that starts up and scans the
entire drive looking for stuff, which fills up cache in RAM.

I generally disable all anacron stuff and remove /etc/cron.??* and the
daily/weekly/monthly entries in /etc/crontab, then I run
'/etc/rc.d/init.d/crond restart'. That oughta fix it, but you might want to
look into the cron scripts individually and selectively remove the lines you
don't want. :-)

--
Byron Stanoszek                         Ph: (330) 644-3059
Systems Programmer                      Fax: (330) 644-8110