Re: [ANNOUNCE] Generalised Kernel Hooks Interface (GKHI)

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 08:30:02 EST

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Michael Rothwell wrote:

> Alexander Viro wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Michael Rothwell wrote:
> >
> > > Same as before -- freedom and low cost. The primary advantae of Linux
> > > over other OSes is the GPL.
> >
> > Now, that's more than slightly insulting...
>
> Well, it wasn't meant to be. I imagine RMS would make the same type of
> statement -- Linux is libre, therefore superior. There's a number of

<shrug> RMS had repeatedly demonstrated what he's worth as a designer
and programmer. Way below zero. You may like or dislike his ideology,
but when it comes to technical stuff... Not funny.

> OSes that have advantages of Linux in some area; Solaris can use more
> processors; QNX is real-time, smaller and still posix; Windows has
> better application support (i.e., more of them); MacOS has better color
> and font management. But, Linux is free. Let's say for a moment that
> Linux was exactly the same as Solaris, technically. Linux would be

You mean, bloated tasteless parody on UNIX? Thanks, but no thanks.

> superior because it is licensed under the GPL, and is free; whereas
> Solaris would not be.

Small solace it would be.

> > The problem with the hooks et.al. is very simple - they promote every
> > bloody implementation detail to exposed API. Sorry, but... See Figure 1.
> > It won't fly.
>
> Figure 1?

Use search engine. On google "See Figure 1" brings the thing in the first
5 hits.