Re: Module open() problems, Linux 2.4.0

From: Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 19:01:18 EST

> > I suppose. Look at what you just stated! This means that a reported
> > value is now worthless.
>
> Correct. And it was always worthless.

Right. The module "use count" is not a use count, it's a lock count.

E.g. a driver may well increase this counter on open and then again
when in a particular ioctl routine, if this situation isn't already
locked right by the kernel. This can happen when a driver has more
than one access point from user space, look at slip_open() in slip.c
from 2.2.

> It's the same de-facto standard as bogo-mips ~= CPU MHz. It was so,
> but it was neither intended nor documented so.

Remember the Landmark Test and those silly CPU-speed displays
configured to show "Landmark MHz"? :-)

Olaf