compiling 2.4.0-test10 kernel

From: Corisen (csyap@starnet.gov.sg)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 06:42:38 EST

hi,

i'm currently running RH7, with 2.2.16-22 kernel, gcc 2.96 on a Sharp Actius
250 notebook.

i've manged to successfully compile 2.4.0-test10 kernel. however, upon
startup there are some failed/error messages:
1. finding module dependencies: depmod *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test10/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o
2. Starting NFS lockd: lockdsvc: Invalid argument [FAILED]

during shutdown, the following failed messages was noticed:
1. Turning off accounting: aacton: Function not implemented
2. Shutting down NFS lockd [FAILED]

the system is also not able to shutdown/power off completely after
"shutdown -h now". however, using RH7 2.2.16 kernel, the notebook was able
to power off. how can i configure it to turn off automatically?

pls kindly advise where i have gone wrong and how to rectify the above
errors.

pls pardon my ignorance as i'm quite new to linux and this is my first
kernel compilation attempt.

thank you very much.

ps: i've tried the kernel compilation on a HP Vectra PII PC and the error
messages are similar.