Re: [Fwd: CPU detection revamp (Request for comments)]

From: davej@suse.de
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 12:56:45 EST

Hi hpa,

 First test, the AMD K6-2.

Before your patch..
        cpu family : 5
        model : 8
        stepping : 12

After..

        cpu family : 5
        model : 8
        stepping : 4

Line 1826 of setup.c

        c->x86_mask = tfms & 7;

Should be..

        c->x86_mask = tfms & 15;

I think?

Also, look at the feature flags:
before:
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mmx 3dnow

after:
features : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow

Note, I lost MTRR & sep. This may be related to the stepping bug
though. I'll recompile a kernel with the &15 fix, and see if that cures
all.

btw, whilst all this is getting a shakedown, how about renaming
that 'x86_mask' field to the more obvious 'x86_stepping' ?
c->x86 would make more sense as c->x86_family too thinking about it.

regards,

Davej.