Re: [Fwd: CPU detection revamp (Request for comments)]

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 13:20:47 EST

davej@suse.de wrote:

> Hi hpa,
>
> First test, the AMD K6-2.
>
> Before your patch..
> cpu family : 5
> model : 8
> stepping : 12
>
> After..
>
> cpu family : 5
> model : 8
> stepping : 4
>
> Line 1826 of setup.c
>
> c->x86_mask = tfms & 7;
>
> Should be..
>
> c->x86_mask = tfms & 15;
>
> I think?
>
> Also, look at the feature flags:
> before:
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
>
> after:
> features : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow
>
> Note, I lost MTRR & sep. This may be related to the stepping bug
> though. I'll recompile a kernel with the &15 fix, and see if that cures
> all.

That is actually correct -- the K6-2 doesn't actually have mtrr and sep,
but has syscall and k6_mtrr instead (the stepping bug causes k6_mtrr not
to show up.) Part of the bugginess of the old system was using one flag
for multiple purposes. This was Linux' doing, not AMD's, by the way.

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt