Re: sendmail fails to deliver mail with attachments in /var/spool/mqueue

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 17:22:15 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

> > Then perhaps qmail's time has finally come .... If sendmail cannot run
> > on a machine with minimal background loading from a dozen or so FTP
> > clients downloading files, it's clearly sick. BTW. I have another box
> > running qmail, and it doesn't have these problems.
>
> If you have permanently high load average - sure, you need to bump
> the limits. Always had been that way, nothing to do with the kernel.
> OTOH, I really don't see WTF are FTP clients giving that kind of LA -
> unless you've got really thick pipe on a box, that is. If it's a server -
> WTF are they doing there at all? And if it isn't... Nice connectivity
> you have there.

I have dual T1 lines going into the box, and I just added a 4-way ADSL
circuit as well (4 x 550K). Claus claimed there were TCPIP timeout bugs
in Linux (which we have now disproved). Even despite the limits being
low, a "sendmail -v -q" command should always force delivery, and this
wasn't even working right. This box gets hammered day and night with
FTP activity. Had to upgrade since I learned when you post a free Linux
distriution, everyone beats a path to your door.

Jeff