Re: Q: Linux rebooting directly into linux.

From: Adam Lazur (alazur@progeny.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 17:46:32 EST

Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com) said:
> Michael Rothwell <rothwell@holly-springs.nc.us> writes:
> > This would rock. One place I can think of using it is with distro
> > installers. The installer boots a generic i386 kernel, and then installs
> > an optimized (i.e, PIII, etc.) kernel for run-time.
>
> This would rock? It already does. Of course the installers need
> to actually uses this.

Actually, along the lines of what Scyld uses two kernel monte for with
their Beowulf2 distribution.

They boot a network enabled kernel which pulls a kernel off of a server
and then uses two kernel monte to boot with that one. This allows you
to centrally admin your cluster with one server. Good stuff...

.adam

--
[ Adam Lazur, NOW Monkey                          <alazur@progeny.com> ]
[ Progeny Linux Systems                             http://progeny.com ]