Re: [ANNOUNCE] Generalised Kernel Hooks Interface (GKHI)

From: richardj_moore@uk.ibm.com
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 20:34:04 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
>I think using dprobes for collecting information is ok, but when you want
>to do actual actions with it (not only using it as a debugger) IMHO it
>is better to patch and recompile the kernel.

I absolutely agree. The only time I ever used this capability was to modify
a proprietary binary, for which I did not have the source, so that I could
prove to the owner what needed fixing.

>As far as I can see GKHI is overkill for dprobes alone, the existing
>notifier lists would be sufficient because dprobes does not hook into any
>performance critical paths.

Again, I agree. My intent is that the RAS guys might club together - then
GKHI make much more sense.

Richard Moore - RAS Project Lead - Linux Technology Centre (PISC).

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072, Mobile: (+44) (0)7768-298183
IBM UK Ltd, MP135 Galileo Centre, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK