Re: Advanced Linux Kernel/Enterprise Linux Kernel

From: lamont@icopyright.com
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 13:33:54 EST

if you look at the kstat structure under solaris, there's a lot of info
there that'd be good to be able to pull out of the linux kernel. that
would slow down the kernel a little, lead to some 'bloat' that linus
abhors and such, but its good to have that information for monitoring and
debugging problems. it'd also be nice to have hooks built in to monitor
errors in the disk subsystem and ideally warn of impending failures as
much as possible -- that might be better done in userspace. and pretty
much you want all error messages from different subsystems to be monitored
and appropriate action taken. ideally all error messages from the kernel
and device drivers should be standardized and HA software can then monitor
them and take appropriate actions when it sees one that indicates
failure. sun is currently in the process of documenting all the kernel
error messages from what i understand. those are the kinds of things that
give IT managers and sysadmins warm fuzzy feelings about solaris.