Re: Parport/IMM/Zip Oops Revisited -- Filesys problem? Viro please look

From: Gert Wollny (wollny@cns.mpg.de)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 18:42:07 EST

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, James M wrote:
> Was just trying to find out why I can mount in 11pre1 and 11pre2 when
> Gert can't mount at all, so I removed my VFAT factory formatted zipdisk
> and put in an Ext2 formatted one.....**BOOM**

Actually i never tried to mount in my testings, just did "modprobe imm". I
did not even load sd.o, which reads the size of the medium. Output after
successfull modprobe:
kernel: imm: Version 2.04 (for Linux 2.4.0)
kernel: imm_connect 1
kernel: imm: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
kernel: imm: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use PS/2
kernel: imm: Communication established at 0x378 with ID 6 using PS/2
kernel: device_check 0
kernel: scsi1 : Iomega VPI2 (imm) interface
kernel: scsi : 2 hosts.
kernel: Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 250 Rev: J.45
kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Even without a disk this works (if parport_pc is preloaded).

Anyway the disk in the drive was a 250MB vfat formatted one. But OTOH, the
oops trace points to ext2.

For completeness: With the disk "modprobe sd" gives

kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
kernel: SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 489532 [239 MB] [0.2 GB]
kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
kernel: sda: sda4

Refering to my last message - so far i didn't check, if an ext2 formated
disk works with test6. But "modprobe imm" worked.