Re: Memory management bug

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 14:15:52 EST

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> Plus I add that the "if (!order) goto try_again" is an obvious
> deadlock prone bug introduce in test9 that should be removed.

1) how would this cause deadlocks?
2) how would this somehow be worse than the
   unconditional 'goto try_again' we had before?

This goto is ok because we have the OOM killer, which will select
a process to kill when we run out of memory. Also, the goto will
make sure that OTHER processes will survive while the "guilty"
process will be killed.

The guilty process will never get to the goto because it will
have PF_MEMALLOC set.

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/