Re: {PATCH} isofs stuff

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 14:57:31 EST

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 08:59:46AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> [ Btw, I noticed that one of my machines _does_ have gcc-2.95.2, so I can
> look at the isofs code generation myself. I don't see anything obvious,
> and the code is hairy. The differences between 2.91.66 and 2.95.2 are
> big enough that a plain "diff" doesn't show anything clear. Andi, what
> does your test-case look like? ]

Just a variable width shift of long long with both arguments fetched
from deep indirection via pointers, and that all in a function with
register pressure (extracted from the XFS source, which does all kinds
of nasty things with long long)

I am actually not sure if the normal kernel contains even a variable
width long long shift.

-Andi (who also sees some strange hangs in 2.4.0test11-pre, but more
suspects his own hacks. no fs corruption, but I do not run dbench normally)