Re: ext2 filesystem corruptions back from dead? 2.4.0-test11

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 01:30:08 EST

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:37:21 -0500 (EST)

> fs/* is not the source of that stuff, but I sure as hell had not said
> that it is. I simply don't know yet.

You were pointing out changes to reproduce the effect.

> > Since there have been not kernel changes to the driver that effect the
> > code since 2.4.0-test5 or test6 and it now randomly shows up after five or
> > six revisions out from the change, and the changes were chipset only.
>
> generic_unplug_device() was changed more or less recently. I doubt that
> it is relevant, but...

Cool, the issue was that I get tried of people blaming the ATA subsystem
for things that it does not do or has control over. Basically, I kill
bogus threads that try to tag me with an old problem of the past that was
a hardware issue.

Given the latest stats that more than 90% of the linux install base is
hinged on me getting the low-level engine core correct, I go on benders
when cheap shots are take across the bow.

Now the only issue that is even on the radar map is a potential 1GB cross
copy execution where I have a single report that md5sums do not match.
I have yet to reproduce it even with the identical hardware sent to me.

I questioned _A_ about this and there may be a case that is OS independent
which is more important to me than other. This is a non-fixable for
6->12 months, until I kick some tail in the standards committee meetings
over this point. If it is a reality, Linux and Microsoft will join as the
OS's represented there and force the change. Only because there are
potentical side-bars that NT is effected also in these rare cases.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development