Jens Axboe's blk-11 causing problems

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan (zboszor@externet.hu)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 03:10:22 EST

Hi!

I tried 2.4.0-test11 (plain, +ac1/2) with and without
Jens' blk-11 patch. This indeed performs (much) better
when there is only high disk activity but cdrecord
starts up _very_ slowly if the kernel was compiled with
blk-11. It does not happen if blk-11 is not applied.

I stopped cdrecord before it started writing because of
this suspicious slowness and I did not want to create a bad CD.

Other data points:
The CD-writer is a Yamaha-6416 (SCSI version).
The SCSI card is a Diamond Fireport-40 (Symbios 53c875j)
I tested both the in-kernel 1.6b and 1.7.2 versions of the
sym53c8xx driver.

The slowdown was experienced in every case where
the kernel contained blk-11.

Regards,
Zoltan Boszormenyi