Re: 2.2.16: How to freeze the kernel

From: Steffen Grunewald (steffen@gfz-potsdam.de)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 03:52:00 EST

On Fri 2000-11-24 (09:10), Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At that point I pressed "RESET", and interestingly the builtin BIOS of
> the Adaptec 2740 (EISA) hung while trying to detect the device.
>
> Only after powering down both, the CD writer and the machine (a HP
> Netserver LD Pro), the BIOS detected the device again. So I guess
> something badly hung...

For bad sector management I use an old EISA 486 also equipped with
a 2740 card, this one show the same behaviour when I run scsifmt
under DOS and get an old drive with incorrect termination or a bad
controller. Have to switch everything off, even the RESET switch
won't help. I'd blame the BIOS only.

BTW, the built in SCSI utilities are buggy - one cannot rescan the bus...

Are there still upgrades (EISA is meant to be upgradeable) floating
around?

Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald ** GeoForschungsZentrum  Potsdam ** Projektbereich 2.2
Telegrafenberg E3 ** D-14473  Potsdam ** Germany / Duitsland / Allemagne