Re: ext2 filesystem corruptions back from dead? 2.4.0-test11

From: Mike Ricketts (mike@earth.li)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 06:06:16 EST

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Ion Badulescu wrote:

> So I'm asking the same question, to all those who have seen unexplained
> filesystem corruption with 2.4.0: are you using IDE drives? If the answer
> is yes, can you check the logs and see if, at *any* point before the
> corruption occurred, the IDE driver choked and disabled DMA for *any* of
> your disks?

I have both IDE and SCSI drives in my machine, but have only seen
corruption on the SCSI drives. That doesn't mean that the problem only
exists on the SCSI drives - they IDE ones are not frequently written to.
I have disabled DMA myself on all my IDE drives because if I enable it,
the IDE driver always chokes the first time they are anything like
hammered (well, it always used to - I haven't actually tried it recently).

--
Mike Ricketts <mike@earth.li>               Phone: +44 7968 381810

Humility is the first of the virtues -- for other people. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes