Re: Universal debug macros.

From: Andrew E. Mileski (andrewm@netwinder.org)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 14:55:50 EST

"Richard B. Johnson" wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
> > Agreed, but that wasn't my point. There is debug code in the current
> > kernel that defines DEBUG to something non-numeric, which causes
> > the compile to barf on kernel.h in some cases (try defining DEBUG in
> > your Makefile). Instances of the offending code (there are SEVERAL)
> > and kernel.h should be fixed.
> >
> > Try this from the top level:
> > grep -r DEBUG * | grep -v DEBUG_ | less
>
> Yep. I now understand your point.

Actually, it would have been clearer with:
  grep -r '#define DEBUG' * | grep -v DEBUG_ | less

Given how hard it was to convice Linus to add his coding style guide
to the documentation, as he won't demand conformance, I doubt if there
will be easy getting people to conform to a standard use of DEBUG :(

I'll settle for fixing kernel.h though, and perhaps adding "use of
DEBUG" to the guidelines.

--
Andrew E. Mileski - Software Engineer
Rebel.com  http://www.rebel.com/