RE: KERNEL BUG: console not working in linux

From: Dunlap, Randy (randy.dunlap@intel.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 23:09:10 EST

Hi,

I've been taking some holidays and haven't followed
all of this thread closely, but:

> From: Albert D. Cahalan [mailto:acahalan@cs.uml.edu]
>
> H. Peter Anvin writes:
> > [Albert Cahalan]
> >> [Alan Cox]

> >> The same can be said of systems that don't support the
> >> standard keyboard controller for A20 control.

Just curious: Are you (Alan?) saying this ("standard") based on the
unpublished IBM PC specs (well, it was when I needed it around
1990; don't know about now ???). Or do you have a copy
of it? They were mighty hard to come by, and I was working
on a contract for IBM at the time (not at Intel).

> > Yes, it can. Unfortunately, some "legacy-free" PCs apparently
> > are starting to take the tack that the KBC is legacy. Therefore,
> > the use of port 92h is mandatory on those systems.
>
> Not just embedded systems?

Right. Not just embedded systems.

> > Port 92h dates back to at the very least the IBM PS/2.
> >
> > Either way, the video card of the original poster is broken in more
> > ways than that. Ports 0x00-0xFF are reserved for the motherboard
> > chipset and have been since the original IBM PC.
>
> His video card is the motherboard. He has built-in video.
> So the port is being used by his motherboard chipset.
> -

~Randy