Re: bug in count_open_files() or a strange granularity?

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 11:06:02 EST

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> /* switch the open fds from old_user to new_user */
> read_lock(&files->file_lock);
> nr_open = close_files(files, 0); /* 0 means don't close them */
> atomic_sub(nr_open, &old_user->files);
> atomic_add(nr_open, &new_user->files);
> read_unlock(&files->file_lock);

That makes no sense - how do you count the descriptors in shared ->files?
And how on the Earth do you count SCM_RIGHTS packets? Because they make
a great way to fool any use of that stuff for resource-limit type of
applications (stash the descriptors into SCM_RIGHTS cookie, send them to
yourself and close them).

Basically, I don't see what are you counting.