Re: DMA for triton again...

From: Mike Dresser (mdresser@windsormachine.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 09:27:16 EST

    You're going to get a chuckle out of this one, i think. I was using my main fileserver at home(different box from
the ones we're talking about)last night, and figured i'd poke around, do some speed benchmarks for the hell of it. At
one point months, i had everything running in DMA mode, drives are doing 20ish meg a second transfers. Had to replace
my EDO 128 meg dimm with a 32 meg SDRAM stick, because quite frankly, EDO dimms suck at 100fsb. :P So anyways, i
check, and lo and behold, my system is running all the drives in non-DMA mode. THE HORROR! I was wondering why the
network sucked :) So i do some poking around.. Dumped the IDE patches, didn't make a difference. Put the ide patches
back in, started playing in the bios. Finally fixed it. I was getting the same operation not permitted, that you
were,until i got that bios setting. My mission tonight will be to find which one it was =) The weird part is that
this is a 591 Apollo Pro chipset, not the FX. But it's making me wonder if it's something similar in your bios!
I know it wasn't the actual UDMA setting in the bios, i'm wondering what it was though. I'll put a keyboard on it,
and poke around tonight or this weekend.