Re: [RFC-2] Configuring Synchronous Interfaces in Linux

From: Stuart Lynne (sl@fireplug.net)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 17:55:35 EST

> I have a vested interest in how this all turns out. I own a Packet Over SONET
> device driver for our OC-12 and OC-48 NICs that I currently pass all parameters
> to the driver via arguments on the insmod. To avoid lengthy commands, we
> provide the common defaults. We accept some basic ifconfig input, but with
> SONET/SDH and chip specific items that needed to be controlled, ifconfig did not
> seem the way to go.

Ditto, we have an adsl driver that we setup by overloading various otherwise
unused options in ifconfig (mem_start, io_addr etc) to do this. Cheaper and
faster than writing yet another ioctl using device configuration agent, but
distasteful non the less.

Some generic way to pass configuration data using a generic configuration
agent to network (and other) drivers would be interesting.

--
                                            __O
Fireplug - a Lineo company                _-\<,_