Re: system hang and corrupt ext2 filesystem with test12-pre5

From: Skip Collins (bernard.collins@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 11:31:22 EST

"Udo A. Steinberg" wrote:

> What drive are you using? AFAIR, Andre Hedrick once said certain Maxtor
> drives aren't quite safe with DMA.

Using an IBM 45GB udma5 capable drive. The problems only occur under
_heavy_ disk activity. I have -d 1 -c 3 -m 16 set.

Have you tried thrashing your drive for an extended time? Try repeatedly
copying more than one GB file simultaneously.

Perhaps this is not relevant, but I have only run into the problem when
manipulating vmware virtual disk files in some way, both inside and
outside of vmware itself. This is probably because these are the only
large files I have dealt with since installing a 2.4 kernel. But could
some aspect of the structure of these files, such as large holes, be
triggering the corruption?

sc