Re: test12-pre6

From: Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@ITS.TUDelft.NL)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 14:08:03 EST

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 10:38:51AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Erik Mouw wrote:
> > So at first the PCI code can't allocate an IRQ for devices 00:00.1
> > (audio), 00:07.2 (USB), and 00:09.0 (winmodem), but after the audio and
> > USB modules get inserted, IRQ 5 and 11 get allocated.
>
> No, the irq stuff is a two-stage process: at first it only _reads_ the irq
> config stuff for every device - whether they have a driver or not - and at
> this stage it will not ever actually allocate and set up a new route. It
> will just see if a route has already been set up by the BIOS.
>
> Then, when a driver actually does a pci_enable_device(), it will do the
> second stage of PCI irq routing, which is to actually set up a route if
> none originally existed. So this is why you first se "failed" messages
> (the generic "test if there is a route" code) and then later when loading
> the module you see "allocated irq XX" messages.

Thanks for explaining.

> So your dmesg output looks fine, and everything is ok at that level. The
> fact that something still doesn't work for you indicates that we still
> have problems, of course.
>
> Can you tell me what device it is that doesn't work for you?

The USB controller. That's device 00:07.2:

00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82440MX USB Universal Host Controller (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
        Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 11
        Region 4: I/O ports at fcc0 [size=32]

I never tried the Winmodem, because I don't need a modem. It came free
with the laptop.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl