Re: YMF PCI - thanks, glitches, patches (fwd)

From: Pavel Roskin (proski@gnu.org)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 15:00:38 EST

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:12:13 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>
> > cc: Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>, Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@metabyte.com>,
> > <peter@cadcamlab.org>, <kai@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de>
>
> > The native YMF PCI driver from Linux-2.4.0-test12-pre5 works on my card:
>
> I did not have a chance to look at whatever is in 2.4, but from
> reading Linus's e-mails I understand that Jaroslav made a new
> port, which is probably unrelated to the stuff that I hastily
> cooked up for 2.2 (I really wanted to play Doom on my new Sony).

:-)))

> I am sorry for the lack of communication.

Why sorry? Do you mean that the linux-sound list is not dead and you saw
my message there?

> I'll see what 2.2 does about 1) playing at 5512 Hz, 2) compiling
> as modules together (non-modules are made to be exclusive),
> 3) compiling if CONFIG_PCI is not enabled, 4) has Configure.help
> update.
>
> I am not sure what to do about CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL.
> My current plan is to discard "(EXPERIMENTAL)" and forget
> about it until the next case.

But please note that opl3 is not enabled by the new driver, so people do
lose some functionality they used to have.

> Ioctl 0x5401 is a mystery. I do not know what it is
> (looks like SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE without uppper bits).

It is caused by an attempt to play at 5512 Hz. In fact, this time (I've
upgraded to test12-pre6 in the meantime) it hung very badly, so that even
"kill -KILL" doesn't help:

 3786 pts/3 D 0:00 sox spinout.wav -t ossdsp /dev/dsp

sox-12.16-7, RedHat 6.2. The same with sox-12.17.1. The later uses
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED to set the rate, but still the message about ioctl 0x5401
appears in the log.

> Please send fewer attachements to the lists. Your sound fragment
> is very useful, but I'd prefer to have it sent separately to me
> upon a request (in uuencode :).

Sorry :-(

> BTW, Legacy driver (ymf_sb) uses PC/DMA or whatever the name is,
> which requires the north bridge support and, sometimes, additional
> connections on the motherboard. This is not reflected in _any_
> kernel documentation. I have spent numerous hours trying to make
> it work on my laptop until I understood that even though my
> chipset supports PC/DMA, necessary connections are missing.
> At first glance, it looked as if IRQ does not come.

Maybe it explains why I'll have to reboot now to kill that "sox" :-/

Regards,
Pavel Roskin