Re: Problems with PDC202xx driver

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 16:33:03 EST

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, James Lamanna wrote:

> So you are saying that the Promise Fasttrak 100 chipset is
> designed wrong? Because that's exactly what I have.
> and isn't this driver supposed to support it?
> Or are you saying the IDE controller on the MB is wrong?

Clarify things first.

PDC20267 is the Ultra100 core.
PDC20267 w/ a pull-up resistor reports its device class as RAID, Fasttrak100.

Now if you have a device that reports it storage class as RAID then it may
misbehave. Otherwise, if it is reporting "Unknown Mass Storage" then you
have an Ultra/ATA controller.

There are two different BIOS cores for each design.
Linux cleanly supports the BIOS cores know as "Ultra" and not the ones
know as "Fasttrak".

Because there are different PCI config space setups for each core then we
have a problem unless we go and poke around for storage classes.

Does that help?

Andre Hedrick
CTO Timpanogas Research Group
EVP Linux Development, TRG