Re: Why is double_fault serviced by a trap gate?

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 20:36:58 EST

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Brian Gerst wrote:

> "Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 7 Dec 2000 richardj_moore@uk.ibm.com wrote:
> >

> > > Which surely we can on today's x86 systems. Even back in the days of OS/2
> > > 2.0 running on a 386 with 4Mb RAM we used a taskgate for both NMI and
> > > Double Fault. You need only a minimal stack - 1K, sufficient to save state
> > > and restore ESP to a known point before switching back to the main TSS to
> > > allow normal exception handling to occur.
> > >
> > > There no architectural restriction that some folks have hinted at - as long
> > > as the DPL for the task gates is 3.
> > >
> > [SNIPPED...]
> >
> > Please refer to page 6-16, Inter486 Microprocessor Family Programmer's
> > Reference Manual.
> >
> > The specifc text is: "The TSS does not have a stack pointer for a
> > privilege level 3 stack, because the procedure cannot be called by a less
> > privileged procedure. The stack for privilege level 3 is preserved by the
> > contents of SS and EIP registers which have been saved on the stack
> > of the privilege level called from level 3".
> >
> > What this means is that a stack-fault in level 3 will kill you no
> > matter how cute you try to be. And, putting a task gate as call
> > procedure entry from a trap or fault is just trying to be cute.
> > It's extra code that will result in the same processor reset.
>
> No, because the CPL of the task gate would be 0, which means the stack
> will be set to tss->esp0. The DPL of 3 means that the descriptor can be
> accessed from CPL3. The text you mention generally means that the only
> way to get back to CPL3 is with iret (via the saved %cs:%eip and
> %ss:%esp pushed on the CPL0/1/2 stack).
>
> --

It is yes, not no.

(1) User traps, CPL3, stack for trap is in CPL0.
(2) CPL0 has stack-fault (bad ring zero code, bad memory).
(3) CPL0 traps, using faulted stack, double fault.
(4) There is no stack-trick, including a call-gate to another
"environment" (complete with its previously-reserved stack),
that will ever get you back to (2), much less to (1).

I am not denying the possibility of "warm-booting", i.e.,
reloate some code to where there is a 1:1 physical to virtual
translation, jump to the relocated code, disable paging, restart kernel
code, and possibly examine what happened. You just have to get
back to "flat-mode" with no paging to handle anything beyond a
double fault. You are just not going to be able to restart
from the stack-faulted code.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.4.0 on an i686 machine (799.54 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.