Re: Lock ordering, inquiring minds want to know.

From: Mike Kravetz (mkravetz@sequent.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 20:53:36 EST

George,

I can't answer your question. However, have you noticed that this
lock ordering has changed in the test11 kernel. The new sequence is:

        read_lock_irq(&tasklist_lock);
        spin_lock(&runqueue_lock);

Perhaps the person who made this change could provide their reasoning.

An additional question I have is: Is it really necessary to hold
the runqueue lock (with interrupts disabled) for as long as we do
in this routine (setscheduler())? I suspect we only need the
tasklist_lock while calling find_process_by_pid(). Isn't it
possible to do the error checking (parameter validation) with just
the tasklist_lock held? Seems that we would only need to acquire
the runqueue_lock (and disable interrupts) if we are in fact
changing the task's scheduling policy.
-
Mike