Re: linux-2.4.0-test11 and sysklogd-1.3-31

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 17:16:01 EST

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:30:06 -0500 (EST),
"Georg Nikodym" <georgn@somanetworks.com> wrote:
>But since you seem to and while we're doing extreme surgery, why have
>klogd at all? Every other unix, kernel messages are handled by the
>syslog system. What problem did klogd solve and does that problem
>still exist today?

klogd maps the kernel messages from <n>text to syslog levels and does
some fiddling with kernel log levels at start up. It needs to be more
than a simple 'cat'. When symbol handling was added to klogd, ksymoops
was built into the kernel and very unreliable. Since then ksymoops has
been moved to a separate package and is now reliable. Alas oops
handling in sysklogd has not kept up to date and is now the problem
area.