Re: Signal 11

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 18:16:45 EST

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 11:34:51AM -0800, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:
>
> Some additional data points. It goes away on UP 2.4 kernels.
> Also, I can't recall seeing this problem on IA64. Maybe it's still
> there on IA64 and I just haven't been trying hard enough to crash
> it, but my current impression is that the problem doesn't exist on IA64.
>
> Hmmm... IA64 is a static server. I don't hear of people having
> problems on 3.3.6 servers either. I'm wondering if a non-loader
> 4.0 server would have problems on IA32 with a 2.4 kernel. That's
> something for people to try.
>

> Mark.

I have not seen it on UP systems either. I only see it on SMP systems.
After trying very hard last night, I was able to get my 4 x PPro system to
do it with 2.4.0-12. It seems related to loading in some way. If you
have more than two processors, the loading is less since there's more
processors, and for whatever reason, it makes it harder to produce
whatever race condition is causing it. I can get it to happen
pretty easily on a 2 x PII system.

:-)

Jeff