Re: [Fwd: NTFS repair tools]

From: Willy Tarreau (wtarreau@free.fr)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 11:49:00 EST

One problem with warnings at compile time is that in many cases, administrators
use kernels provided by friends or collegues that "know linux better than them".
If an admin uses a kernel in which write support has been activated to mount
an NTFS file system without providing any option, he will get it mount R/W
without any warning, then may destroy it at the first mistake or so.

perhaps we should add an option such as "force" to mount an NTFS r/w, and as
suggested by JBG, print a KERN_EMERG message when attempting to mount it r/w
without the "force" option.

we could also add a static counter which will make the first r/w mount always
fail, to ensure people will read the message, and which would prevent people
from mounting r/w from fstab.

just my $0.02.

BTW, I like the message about microsoft preventing from fixing the driver ;-)

Cheers,
Willy