Linking with kernel code (Makefile)

From: Jean Fekry Rizk (jeanfekry@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 18:12:33 EST

Hi Kernel World,
I'm new to linux-kernel developement, so I would appreciate any help.

What I want to do:
    create a shared memory segment between user space and kernel space

How am I trying to do it from kernel:
    use the 'newseg' function from 'ipc/shm.c', or even the array shm_segs
directly.

The problem:
    I can't link with the array or the function, this also happens with
all functions that are not defined in 'ksyms'
    Even though I declared 'newseg' and 'shm_segs' as 'extern' in my file

I think my problem is in the Makefile.
I'm using linux-2.2.14
Here is the Makefile from the ipc folder
    O_TARGET:=ipc.o
    O_OBJS :=util.o msg.o sem.o shm.o
    include $(TOPDIR)/Rules.make
To compile my file 'mycode.c'- which uses newseg - I just added 'mycode.o'
to the O_OBJS line.
But while making bzImage, it gives the error unresolved external 'newseg'

So my question is how can I link to the kernel source code, or am I not
allowed to?