Re: USB mass storage backport status?

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier (0@pervalidus.net)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 00:03:11 EST

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 08:08:40PM -0800, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> Depending on the type of device you have and how you use it, it can either:
> (1) Work properly
> (2) Corrupt your data
> (3) Crash the driver
> (4) Crash your system

The reboot was about Iomega's Zip Drive under 2.2.18pre21:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=00/12/11/2355217&threshold=0&commentsort=1&mode=thread&cid=110

> It's allready labeled EXPERIMENTAL. Perhaps it should be labeled
> DANGEROUS, also, but how many labels can you put on things to warn people
> off?

Hmm, where? I don't see an (EXPERIMENTAL) in
Documentation/Configure.help:

USB Mass Storage support
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE
Say Y here if you want to connect USB mass storage devices to your
computer's USB port.

This code is also available as a module ( = code which can be
inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
The module will be called usb-storage.o. If you want to compile it
as a module, say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt.

USB Mass Storage verbose debug
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG
Say Y here in order to have the USB Mass Storage code generate
verbose debugging messages.

Maybe it's only enabled when you set CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL? I don't know, because I enabled
it to just set CONFIG_FB.

--
0@pervalidus.{net,{dyndns.}org} TelFax: 55-21-717-2399 (Niterói-RJ BR)