DPMS kicks in at the wrong time

From: John Summerfield (summer@OS2.ami.com.au)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 01:48:47 EST

System:
P II, ASUS P2L97-S motherboard (LX chipset plus onboard SCSI).
Currently I740-based video card, Sony Multiscan SFII.
Linux possum 2.4.0-test12 #6 Wed Dec 13 13:43:54 WST 2000 i686

It's happened on this machine with every kernel I've tried it, right back to
(I'm pretty sure) 2.1 days.

Whenever I try frame buffer support, this is what happens:
1) I can boot up with the logo, lots of characters across the screen, and
Linux happily writing on my console.

2) I can switch to a graphics display, either with KDM/GDM/XDM, or by logging
in and starting X.
3) When I then switch back to a virtual console, the screen blanks and
switches to power-saving mode.

Here's the config:

Cheers
John Summerfield