Re: UP 2.2.18 makes kernels 3% faster than UP 2.4.0-test12

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 04:44:38 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> > How much of that is due to the fact that the 2.4.0 scheduler interrupts
> > processes more often than 2.2.x? Is the better interactivity worth the
> > slight drop in performance?
>
> What better interactivity ;)

Indeed!

On my dual Celeron workstation, 2.4 looks to me as if it is scheduling
"more". Thus when I move a window, the window takes on all intervening
positions. Under 2.2, the window sometimes jerks 10 pixels or so, but
it acutally follows the mouse. Under 2.4, you can get hte window to
lag the mouse by a significant amount.

Thus to me, 2.4 FEELS much less interactive. When I move windows they
don't follow the mouse in real-time.

                                Roger.

* There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.
* There are also old, bald pilots.