R: Signal 11 - the continuing saga

From: CMA (cma@mclink.it)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 07:10:10 EST

>> From: CMA [mailto:cma@mclink.it]
>> Did you already try to selectively disable L1 and L2 caches (if
>> your box has both) and see what happens?
>
>Anyone know how to do this?

If you own a p6 class machine (sorry but I didn't find your hw specs in
you should be able to enter setup and disable L1 and/or L2 usually in
"advanced setup".
If you disable L1, the machine will be *much* slower.
If you disable L2, you will notice it under heavy load.
Most of the times sig 11 is due L1 cache overheating (on chip). Just
controlling whether cpu cooling fan is properly seated and spinning solves
the problem.
Regards.
Dr. Eng. Mauro Tassinari
www.c-m-a.it