Re: [Korbit-cvs] Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 05:02:55 EST

> There is a large perception of CORBA being slow, but for the most part it
> is unjustified. I believe that the act of _designing_ a completely new
> protocol, standardizing it, and making it actually work would be a huge
> process that would basically reinvent CORBA (obviously some of the design
> decisions could be made differently, but all the same issues would have be
> dealt with).

CORBA is slow compared to some of the other solutions. The question I was
trying to ask is whether you should put something smaller and faster into the
kernel space and leave CORBA in userland. It's complex, it has security
implications surely it belongs talking something simple and fast to the kernel.

If you look at microkernels they talk a much simpler faster rpc protocol.