Re: test13-pre1 changelog

From: Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 18:56:21 EST

* Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) wrote:
> > machine? For no apparent reason after 5 days running 2.4.0test12
> > everything going through my firewall (set up using iptables) I got about
> > 100ms time added on to pings and traceroutes. I'll probably reboot the
> > machine tonight and see if that helps.
>
> Before you do that can you see if ifconfig down, rmmod, insmod, ifconfig up
> fixes it.

        This go around I compiled everything into the kernel, actually.
If it would be useful I can compile them as modules reboot and then see
what happens...

===# cat /proc/modules
ppp_deflate 39200 0 (autoclean)
bsd_comp 4160 0 (autoclean)
ppp_async 6512 1 (autoclean)
ppp_generic 15232 3 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
slhc 4528 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
===#

        I can say that cleaning out all my firewall rules and adding them
back didn't change behaviour any. Also, I'm sure that this was not happening
until today or maybe yesterday. Earlier in the week the machine was doing
fine and I was getting reasonable response times. Now, out *every* interface,
I get something close to 100ms additional time. Also of note, traceroutes
appear to be more lagged than pings, for what that's worth (traceroute using
udp, ping using icmp, dunno if it makes a difference).

                Stephen