Re: Linus's include file strategy redux

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 19:48:53 EST

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > >Which works because in a normal compile environment they have /usr/include
> > >in their include path and /usr/include/linux points to the directory
> > >under /usr/src/linux/include.
> >
> > No, that a redhat-ism.
>
> Umm, its a most people except Debianism. People relied on it despite it
> being wrong. RH7 ships with a matching library set of headers. I got to close
> a lot of bug reports explaining to people that the new setup was in fact
> right 8(

        Actually, I suspect that quite a few of us had done that since long -
IIRC I've got burned on 1.2/1.3 and decided that I had enough. Bugger if I
remember what exactly it was - ISTR that it was restore(8) built with
1.3.<something> headers and playing funny games on 1.2, but it might be
something else...