Lockup at boot with HPT370 and 2.4.0-test12

From: Ryan C. Boren (rboren@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 21:20:13 EST

I have an Abit KT7-RAID mobo which sports an HPT370 ATA-100 IDE
controller. When I configure support for the 370 into a 2.4.0-test12
kernel, the resulting kernel will hang at boot time. The ide2 and ide3
channels are detected, but when the kernel gets to the part where it
usually displays info on the disks attached to those channels, it locks
hard with the only sign of life being a constantly illuminated HDD LED.
2.2.18 + ide.2.2.18.1209.patch works fine, however. 2.2 boots fine and
the attached disks are perfectly usable. Hardware RAID (rather,
Highpoint's approximation of it) is not configured in the BIOS of the
370. Looking through linux-kernel archives, I noticed that someone ran
into this last month sometime. I didn't see a reply so this is my 'me
too' post. If more info or testing is needed, lemme know.

/ryan/