Re: test13pre2 - netfilter modiles compile failure

From: Harald Welte (laforge@gnumonks.org)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 05:57:05 EST

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 12:42:53AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> - the DRM "true library" solution, as shown by drivers/char/drm/Makefile.
>
> This is closest to what the code tried to do before, and might be the
> right solution for the "ip_nf_compat" module. However, it does result
> in the same code being duplicated in multiple modules. Not very nice.

mmh... but this is no real problem, because the ipchains and ipfwadm
backwards compat modules are mutually exclusive.

> - export more symbols (and mark the object files that export them as
> "export-objs"), so that they are visible across module boundaries.
> This is probably worth doing for at least the symbols
>
> register_firewall(), ip_fw_masq_timeouts() and
> unregister_firewall()
>
> so that "ipchains" and "ipfwadm" could just cleanly be separate modules
> on top of the "ip_fw_compat" module.

mmh.. but the ip_fw_compat layer without one of [ipchains, ipfwadm] doesn't
make sense at all. And ip_fw_compat is never going to be used more than once
because of the exclusiveness i've described above.

> Anyway, these kinds of things are really up to the netfilter people.

As no other netfilter core team member responded yet, I'm going to provide
a patch for the 'true library' solution.

--
Live long and prosper
- Harald Welte / laforge@gnumonks.org                http://www.gnumonks.org