Re: recursive exports && linux nfs

From: Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 04:42:42 EST

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 11:54:46PM +0100, Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> wrote:
> > 2) using: I can do cd /nfs/fs, but the directoy is always empty, and when I
> > try to step into a subdirectory I always get "No such file or directory".
> >
> > Thanks a lot for any insights, even if this means "this is not supported"
> > ;)
>
> This can't be supported, afaict, because nfs handles have limited
> size.

Ehrm, did you really read my mail? Most people told me something like
"recursive exports are not supported" (actually, they are and they work),
and it seems nobody really read what I wrote :(

My problem is that autofs doesn't work. Example:

/ reiserfs
/fs autofs
/fs/big ext2

When I exportfs /, /fs AND /fs/big then I can mount /fs on another box,
but it is always empty, even if something (e.g. /fs/big) is mounted and
can be accessed fine the whole time. Automounting doesn't work, either, of
course.

Another (less grave) problem is that exportfs (and/or rpc.nfsd) require
network access and access to the volume, so they a) mount all automounted
directories (VERY expensive) and require network access (making all
clients NOT survive a reboot).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|